Wednesday 2 May 2012

Slashies: The Way of the Future?


I read this article last year about Generation Y that has really stuck in my mind. The main point of the article is that:

Generation Slashie likes to do it all. They are a wave of young people who straddle industries and disciplines, defining themselves by several professions. Their identity (and income) is built around the fact they lead multidimensional lives.

I think it's inaccurate to limit this phenomenon to Gen Y, as many people across age-groups seem to be embracing the freedom and opportunities now available through technology and more flexibe work hours. I am currently working as a bank teller / teacher / writer. I make money from all of these endeavours (although the writing income is very minimal), but I believe this puts me in the slashie category. Many people I know are also seriously committed to pursuits outside their paid employment which would have once been thought of as hobbies, but which now offer the possibility of providing them with an income.

As someone who believes that creative fulfilment is the pinnacle of human existence, I am so thrilled with these developments. I really hope that more people get to embrace the slashie lifestyle and free themselves from the shackles of the 9-5 grind in full-time employment, which can only be described as a crime against the human spirit. Bring on greater flexibility in working hours and more self-determination as people profit direcly from their skills instead of selling themselves to an employer.  This can only lead to a happier and more cohesive society.

No comments:

Post a Comment